Skip to main content

How We Met (Part 2)



How We Met (Part 2)

By Srimoyee Dutta         

I had cleaned my apartment and made preparations for receiving my mom and Swarali. They were to come over, and we would have a chat. I had prepared dinner, and I was really excited about the evening. Swarali came over early to help me. We were just laying out the table when the doorbell rang. I went over to open the door and greet my mom, but I found a delivery boy with a huge bouquet and a letter. I knew what had happened. My mom would not be coming because she was busy. She did not care about what we felt. She had not even bothered to call. This bouquet meant we were also not to ring her up now. She had sent the flowers as a token of her love for us. Swarali did not mind. She was actually happy because she would have more time to spend with me. That was the bright side. Swarali had taught me to always look on the bright side even when in the most depressing of situations. We were discussing old memories with a glass of Pinot Noir and a plate of potato chips. We found our way to the earliest of them. 

Swarali lived just two kilometers from where my coffee shop was. My house was one kilometer away. Our office, from my coffee shop, was three kilometers. The next evening, after I was dropped home by Swarali in her expensive red sports car, I went out for a stroll. I was careful about my injuries, but I just could not sit at home. Swarali and I started work on Monday, and it was Friday. Swarali had insisted that she would pick me up from the coffee shop on the condition that I got her coffee as well, and she would drive us to work and back home every day. That was a fair deal. But as stupid as I was, it slipped my mind to ask her for her coffee preferences and her number as well. I tried looking her up online. There were many people named Swarali. I did not want to look like a creep, going around the place searching for Swarali, so I decided to go the one kilometer west and look for a house with the dashing red sports car. It would be easy to spot. Or so I had thought. I had not realized that it was a very posh neighborhood. Almost everyone there had three cars, of which one was a fancy sports car. At least a dozen houses with a red sports car.

I was in trouble now. I didn't want Swarali to think I was a creep and had followed her here, so I left in a hurry. Just as I was about to take the turn on to the next street when I heard someone honking. I was not walking through the middle of the road, but I still stepped aside. They refused to stop honking and did not take the turn as well. Irritated, I looked around to see Swarali in a dazzling black Porsche dressed in an elegant black skirt and a marshmallow pink turtleneck top. Her hair was tied in a messy but classy ponytail, and she had some makeup on and looked like she was going to some party. But, it was too early in the evening for a party, I thought to myself. She beckoned me to get into the car, and like a dumb person, I did. I don't know what it is about her, but every time I see her, I lose my capacity to think and make decisions by myself. She looked stunning, yes, but I was never the love at first sight type of person. I didn't believe in love, and the circumstances under which we first met were not ideal for love. She was just a colleague and could be a friend. 

So, I got into the passenger seat, and as soon as I had seated myself, Swarali leaned over and gave me a hug and a light peck on the cheeks. I was shocked. She didn't seem to mind and was cheerful. The music playing in the car was an upbeat one, but it was on minimum volume. The inside of the Porsche smelled of fresh lilies and cupcakes. She drove for some time and turned to look at me. Now, she looked me up and down, then scrunched her face. "We are going to stop at your house, and you will change. We are going out to get some stationery for the office and then meet a few friends for dinner and a movie. I needed a plus-one for the event, and I am glad I met you, Shubh." she said. 
I was confused now. Why would Swarali be glad to meet me? I had a fractured arm, for god's sake, a party was the last place I wanted to go to. But, again, I followed her around. I got changed and tried to look as cool as I could. The next stop was the stationery shop. We went around a shop, selecting notepads, sticky-notes and pens, a few highlighters, staple-pins, and a stapler for work on Monday. Then she dropped off the shopping bags in her car, and we walked towards the movie theatre. When she had said she had to meet friends, she meant one friend. She was joking about taking a plus-one to a party! This was just a movie night for girls. 
Swarali introduced me to her friend Kamala. A slender and tall girl with curly hair. She looked pretty but not as much as Swarali. I could not help but feel elated sitting next to Swarali during the movie. It was a private room, with just the three of us. We were all perched on one of those super comfy reclining sofas with extra cushion. I did not know what movie we were watching! I was surprised as we were served dinner while the film was on. I was not accustomed to this. I was just concentrating on not making a mess, as my hand was plastered, and I was not yet habituated to eating with my left hand. At home, I could make all the mess I wanted, as I would clean up later, but I didn't have that option in public. When Swarali realized this, she came over to my sofa and sat down beside me. It was big enough for three people to fit in. She was feeding me, yet again. Now, this was something weird. I had never felt like this ever before with anyone. The more I said to myself that she was just a friend and a colleague, the more I kept thinking about her.

We both burst out laughing when I said this aloud. We fast-forwarded a few years to when we were working together and would have a good time after work. I had got my car by then, but most of the time, I traveled to the office in Swarali's car. I would buy her coffee. The deal was still intact.  The only thing that had changed from the past was, we were now best friends. Swarali was dating some bloke from her neighborhood. He was a tall, muscular guy, and I was her relationship adviser during that time. I did it to keep her happy. It hurt to see her go hand in hand, head on the shoulder of another guy, but I tried my best to not mess up my friendship with her. I was happy to be her friend. This guy looked more like a junkie to me, a drug addict, but I kept my mouth shut. I wanted to save Swarali from this man, but I didn't want to spoil my friendship. But one day, when I saw this guy with a bunch of his friends getting wasted in an alley, I had had it. I went to Swarali and told her that this guy was not right for her. She got charged up and yelled at me. She asked me to leave and not contact her unless she reached out first. I was devastated. I felt like I had just dug my own grave, but I waited every day. Every day, I would stop once at the coffee shop just to see if she was waiting for me and her coffee. But, every day, I drove to the office and back home alone in my car. It was hard for me to not go up to Swarali's desk and tell her why I said all those things, but I didn't want to anger her even more. I was sure she would see sense one day. Then she would know why I said all those things. That day she would surely come back to me. 

One day, Swarali had come crying to my flat. She was supposed to be out for a weekend vacation with her boyfriend. I was with my friends, partying at my house. She stepped in and came running to me. As soon as I saw her, the first thought in my mind was- I am going to fight that beast of a man and kill him if he hurt Swarali. I took her to my room and gave her some water to drink. My friends were waiting outside. She told me what happened. They had an argument on the road, and that guy broke up with her. He left her standing in the middle of the highway and drove away. I was really infuriated, but I hugged Swarali and asked her to eat something and sleep. I gave her a burger and some fries that we had ordered for the party. She gobbled it down. He might have been starving! I gave her my blanket and asked her to sleep. When I stepped out, I told my friends to shift the party to someone else's house. That was the day I had gained hope again. All was not over. I still had another chance. She was back in my life.

Months flew by. We were again following our deal. One day, we were at a friend's house for a party. She had gone to the washroom when one of my friends asked me-" Hey Shubh, have you told her that you love her yet?"

I was red in the face. "Shush! What if she hears you? And she just has gone through a breakup. I don't want to look like the jerk who takes advantage of this situation." I said. 

"Well, it's been some time since her breakup. Hurry up, or you will lose your opportunity again!"

I quickly changed the topic, as it had been some time since Swarali had gone to the washroom, and I did not want her to discover what had just been discussed. A few seconds later, she came back and sat down beside me. She kept looking at me after that as if observing me. I was getting really anxious now. After dinner, when we got to the car to go home, she gave me the keys to drive. She never did that. This was strange. I  was going towards her place when she asked me to go to my house. I was surprised again but obeyed. When we reached my house, she followed me inside. Closing the door behind her, she kissed me. 

I was utterly surprised. Swarali pulled back, then asked me to be her boyfriend. At this point, I thought this was all a joke and started laughing. When she didn't laugh, I saw she was waiting for an answer- I panicked. Swarali was serious? Oh my god! She just asked me out. I yelled YES at the top of my voice and started jumping. She smiled now. She was also happy. 

When I calmed down just a little bit, I asked her why she asked me out? She said she had liked me for a while now. She overheard my friend at the party, and she was overjoyed. I could not control my happiness. It was like a dream. I had to pinch myself to check that I was not dreaming. This was actually happening. I could not wait any longer for any other explanation. I hugged her again, and this time, I leaned in for a kiss. Time had stopped ticking, and it felt like the world had frozen. Nothing else mattered. I was finally there. She was in my arms, and we were kissing. For months I had waited. I knew this day would come, sooner or later, when she would realize that I was the one for her. It was painful seeing her obsessing over someone else all this time, but it was worth the while. But right now, that she is with me, I want to do this right. I caressed her. It was a breathtaking kiss and the best kiss I have ever had. My heart was beating so loud, you could hear it through a wall. I wanted time to freeze. As much as I wanted to stay like this forever, I knew it could not happen. I also knew that now, when I have her, everything that comes next is going to be just like I imagine, if not better. I wanted to take the next step forward. I had waited long enough already. Now that I had my chance, I didn't want to miss it.


                                                      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

That's the part 2....hope you enjoyed reading it. Do comment your views and if you liked it do share this with others as well.

Comments

  1. Good story actually was really different than the other stories I read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am glad u enjoyed reading it. Share it with others also, if you like it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Triangle Of Love

  The Triangle Of Love    ~Srimoyee Dutta       I fell in love with the way you look at her, And everything else is a blur. I fell in love with the way you talk about her, And how you could go on and on forever! I fell in love with the way you care for her. I wish someone would hold me, The way you wrap your hands around her. I wish someone would yearn for me,  The same way you yearn to get a glimpse of her! Sometimes I wish someone would worry for me, Just like you worry about her. And sometimes it makes me feel jealous of her, Because I know no one would ever love me, In the way that you love her!

Love Is Never Lost?

Love Is Never Lost? ~ Srimoyee Dutta      He's handsome and he's tall A little bit tanned From playing football Looks like someone come from Dreamland. He looks so cute Joyful and smart Looks his best in a suit Knows how to steal the heart. I try not to get attached And keep my distance But my heart's already snatched, I'll need special assistance. He isn't mysterious, He just doesn't care. This isn't serious, It's just a dare! Every time I look at him I can't help but wonder Why couldn't I have known him, When we were a little bit younger? Maybe things would have been different  If we started talking sooner, He can't be that ignorant, I hope he sees that in the future. My heart was burnt. And my love lost. That was a lesson learnt, At a very great cost.

The Eyes Have It

The Eyes Have It ~Srimoyee Dutta        Blue were his eyes A little paler than the skies Sparkling so bright Like dew in sunlight Big and round like they were a gem Just can't get enough of gazing into them One look, and you can fall in love instantly So deep, you can stay lost in them for an eternity With joy or with sorrow could they be shining But not for once can they stop being stunning They can be keen, watchful and expressive Sometimes anxious, tired and pensive Eyes are the windows to the body and the soul Some are grey, green or brown and some black as coal  Blue were his eyes A little paler than the skies Sparkling so bright Like dew in sunlight

How we Met (Part 1)

  How We Met (Part 1) By Srimoyee Dutta                    Time had stopped ticking, and it felt like the world had frozen. Nothing else mattered. I was finally there. She was in my arms, and we were kissing. For months I had waited. I knew this day would come, sooner or later, when she would realize that I was the one for her. It was painful seeing her obsessing over someone else all this time, but it was worth the while. But right now, that she is with me, I want to do this right. I caressed her. It was a breathtaking kiss and the best kiss I have ever had. My heart was beating so loud, you could hear it through a wall. I wanted time to freeze. As much as I wanted to stay like this forever, I knew it could not happen. I also knew that now, when I have her, everything that comes next is going to be just like I imagine, if not better. I wanted to take the next step forward. I had waited long enough already. Now that I had my chance, I didn't want to miss it. " I want you to me

For The Boy I Love

  For The Boy I Love ~ Srimoyee Dutta               For the boy I love, these words I pour, With burning passion to my core. You set my heart ablaze with desire, And with you I feel like I can fly higher. Your touch ignites a flame within, And in your arms I forget all sin. Your lips are the sweetest nectar, And your embrace, my safe protector. Your eyes, so deep and intense, Draw me in with their magnetic sense. For the boy I love, these words I write, With all my heart, they take flight. You are the sunshine on a cloudy day, And with you, everything seems okay. Your smile is like a ray of light, That makes my world so bright. Your laughter is music to my ears, And in your presence, I have no fears. Your smile is sunshine on a gloomy day, And in your arms all worries fade away. Your laughter is a medicine for my soul, And in your company, I feel whole. You are kind, gentle, and so true, And I am grateful for everything you do. You make me feel loved and cherished, And with you I never

The Cry Of A Broken Heart

The Cry Of A Broken Heart  ~Srimoyee Dutta I can no longer talk to you No more texts, phone calls or emails, I can no longer hug you or kiss you. All I can do is talk about you, Reminisce about the good times, Obsess over the bad. Replaying the last conversation over and over again,  Watching it all fall apart, Like a horror movie on repeat. And now I pay someone to listen, An hour a week to get out the pain. To talk about you with love, anger and pain. She calms me through the same conversations, Fears and thoughts I have to voice again and again, Will I be happy again? I don't understand what went wrong, I don't get how you could end things so suddenly! Feels like just yesterday that you were calling me "baby", And telling me you loved me ! I guess we were never meant to be, And I gave myself to you for nothing. Because now we are no longer "we", This isn't you, I can't let you go, We were different, Maybe you will change your mind. She reassures m