Skip to main content

How we Met (Part 1)

 

How We Met (Part 1)

By Srimoyee Dutta                  


Time had stopped ticking, and it felt like the world had frozen. Nothing else mattered. I was finally there. She was in my arms, and we were kissing. For months I had waited. I knew this day would come, sooner or later, when she would realize that I was the one for her. It was painful seeing her obsessing over someone else all this time, but it was worth the while. But right now, that she is with me, I want to do this right. I caressed her. It was a breathtaking kiss and the best kiss I have ever had. My heart was beating so loud, you could hear it through a wall. I wanted time to freeze. As much as I wanted to stay like this forever, I knew it could not happen. I also knew that now, when I have her, everything that comes next is going to be just like I imagine, if not better. I wanted to take the next step forward. I had waited long enough already. Now that I had my chance, I didn't want to miss it.

" I want you to meet my mother. Come for a sleepover?"

As the words tumbled out of my mouth, she drew back. Fear gripped me. Was I moving too fast? Did I scare her away? I did not want to lose her as soon as I had her. After a brief moment of searching my eyes, when she realized I wasn't joking, she leaned in and kissed me again.

"Perfect," she mumbled in my mouth.

It all started when her sporty red car hit me while I was crossing the road with my bicycle by my side. I fell hard and bruised my elbows and knees. I think I had a broken bone as well. I had no idea where my cycle was and in what condition it was. All I could think of was- How will I get to the interview? What will I do if I miss it? What if I am not given the job?

She got out of her car and came to peer over me. She looked devastated. I did not want to imagine what I looked like. A high pitch sound was ringing in my ears. I could neither move my body nor feel my limbs. I was straining to keep my mind focused, but my eyelids were already heavy. My surroundings went fuzzy and then black. That was all I could remember. When I next woke up, I was in a hospital bed. I tried to get up, but pain seared through my body. I had a cast around my arm and a few bandages over my arms and legs.

"Careful there. I am delighted to see you are healing fast," said an unfamiliar tongue. Though the voice was musical and full of concern and sympathy, I did not like it. Hate coursed through my veins. I had definitely missed the most important interview of my life. My rage knew no bounds. She was probably the one responsible for my current condition, and also my missed interview. When she came up beside me, at any other point in life, I would have acknowledged such beauty, but now I was filled with anger because she was the reason I might no longer get the job I had fought so hard to get an interview for.

I think it was the injury that made me faint again, and it was embarrassing to lose consciousness when someone was talking to you. I was going to yell at that lady, but the next time I woke up, I was served food, and the lady was not in the room. I was relieved. But I could not move my right hand. 

I tried my best to eat with my left hand, but I spilled soup all over myself. It was hot, and it almost burnt my skin. I let out a shriek. With a plastered hand and half bandaged body, there was not much I could do. I heard the door open, and that woman rushed in. She was outside, probably talking to someone. When she saw me, she called for the nurse and hurried to the washroom to get some cold water to soothe the burnt skin. 

I could not help but wonder, "Why was she here? Did she really care for me and was truly repenting her actions? Was she really sorry for my condition? Why does she care so much for a stranger? Is she doing all this just to help me or because she does not want me to press charges?"

While I was still wondering, she helped me out of my clothes and wiped the soup off my chest and stomach. The nurse had got a fresh pair of clothes for me to wear. She even started to feed me after helping me change into the clothes. I was speechless. I realized how mean and selfish I had been. I had not even asked this woman her name! When the food was consumed, she was talking to the nurse, with her back facing towards me. When the nurse left, I said, " Hi, I am Shubh. What is your name?"

Surprised by my abrupt question, she looked back, and after a moment, replied, "Hi Shubh. I am Swarali. I am really sorry for what happened. I was in a hurry for an interview. I was distracted, so I didn't see you in time. That interview was very urgent, but that is, probably, why God arranged this, so I could understand the significance of time management." She seemed to be talking more to herself than to me. She was also regretting this, and she was really sorry. I decided to not press charges. I was really ashamed of myself for being angry at her. Then it struck me, she was also on her way to an interview.

"Hey Swarali, which interview were you talking about? I think I can help. I was also on my way to an interview." I was not sure that she would also be going to the same interview at Deloitte. I was wondering who would be the other person they were talking about. I was shortlisted with another candidate, and we had tied for first place in the written assessment. I was curious to meet that candidate. I had not imagined I would meet her like this.

" If you need anything, just call out. I am here for the night," said Swarali. Though I was mad at her for my current state, and I wanted her to feel guilty, but seeing her so miserable, made me feel sad as well.

"  It's okay. No, you need not stay here. You can head home. You have already done enough for me. I cannot be so selfish as to keep you here." I found myself saying.

"No. I don't have anyone to go back home to. Also, it is my fault you are here, so I may as well stay here and take care of you."

The night was a pleasant one. Swarali was clicking and typing on her laptop continuously, but I had had a good night's sleep. I was discharged the next morning, after a few checkups. Swarali offered to take me home. Though my cycle was repaired, I would not be able to ride it for the next six months. As I stepped into Swarali's car, she got a call. From what I could make out from the one-sided conversation, it was from the Delloite interviewers. I think she might have called them up after the accident and offered to give up her position to the other candidate. When I checked my phone, there were three missed calls and a received call from the company. The nurse might have received it. After the conversation ended, Swarali was really happy, and she squealed and gave me a hug. 

"The interview I was going for yesterday? Well, I had called them later and informed them of the accident. I asked them to give my position to the other candidate they had mentioned, but as it turns out, he didn't show up as well. They didn't tell me the reason, but they said that they have agreed to employ both the candidates. I wonder what made them change their mind," Swarali said.

" You remember I had said I was also on my way to an interview? Well, we were supposed to go to Delloite and meet each other if I had not wanted to grab a coffee first. So yeah, we are the ones with the job. Congratulations to you." I said.

Swarali looked surprised at this piece of information. Like she could not believe what I had said. She didn't look as happy as she had been before I said this. I wondered what was wrong when she said, " I am sorry, I am really sorry this happened. I can cover the medical bills, and I can pick you up for work and drop you home every day. That way, you won't need any public transport, and your hand can recover fast."

I was somewhat surprised by this offer. I had not seen this coming.

"The medical bills were covered by my health insurance, and no, I can never ask you to do something like that for me. It is okay- it's settled. It was not intentional. You don't need to do anything for me. You don't need to feel like you owe me anything. You don't."


                                                            ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


To be continued......... next part will be published soon....keep checking.






Comments

  1. It was rly amazing cant wait for the next part hhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck, it was really amazing fam didn't imagine it to be so intriguing...!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The narrative captures the journey of two individuals brought together by an unexpected accident and the subsequent unfolding of their connection. The protagonist's initial anger and misunderstanding towards Swarali, the person responsible for the accident, gradually transform into empathy and gratitude as they learn more about each other's circumstances and intentions. The story touches on themes of forgiveness, second chances, and the unpredictable ways life can bring people together.

    The writing effectively conveys the emotional evolution of the characters and their growing bond. It also highlights the significance of chance encounters and the positive outcomes that can emerge from difficult situations. Overall, it's a heartwarming tale of two people finding not only professional success but also genuine friendship in an unexpected manner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Triangle Of Love

  The Triangle Of Love    ~Srimoyee Dutta       I fell in love with the way you look at her, And everything else is a blur. I fell in love with the way you talk about her, And how you could go on and on forever! I fell in love with the way you care for her. I wish someone would hold me, The way you wrap your hands around her. I wish someone would yearn for me,  The same way you yearn to get a glimpse of her! Sometimes I wish someone would worry for me, Just like you worry about her. And sometimes it makes me feel jealous of her, Because I know no one would ever love me, In the way that you love her!

Love Is Never Lost?

Love Is Never Lost? ~ Srimoyee Dutta      He's handsome and he's tall A little bit tanned From playing football Looks like someone come from Dreamland. He looks so cute Joyful and smart Looks his best in a suit Knows how to steal the heart. I try not to get attached And keep my distance But my heart's already snatched, I'll need special assistance. He isn't mysterious, He just doesn't care. This isn't serious, It's just a dare! Every time I look at him I can't help but wonder Why couldn't I have known him, When we were a little bit younger? Maybe things would have been different  If we started talking sooner, He can't be that ignorant, I hope he sees that in the future. My heart was burnt. And my love lost. That was a lesson learnt, At a very great cost.

The Eyes Have It

The Eyes Have It ~Srimoyee Dutta        Blue were his eyes A little paler than the skies Sparkling so bright Like dew in sunlight Big and round like they were a gem Just can't get enough of gazing into them One look, and you can fall in love instantly So deep, you can stay lost in them for an eternity With joy or with sorrow could they be shining But not for once can they stop being stunning They can be keen, watchful and expressive Sometimes anxious, tired and pensive Eyes are the windows to the body and the soul Some are grey, green or brown and some black as coal  Blue were his eyes A little paler than the skies Sparkling so bright Like dew in sunlight

For The Boy I Love

  For The Boy I Love ~ Srimoyee Dutta               For the boy I love, these words I pour, With burning passion to my core. You set my heart ablaze with desire, And with you I feel like I can fly higher. Your touch ignites a flame within, And in your arms I forget all sin. Your lips are the sweetest nectar, And your embrace, my safe protector. Your eyes, so deep and intense, Draw me in with their magnetic sense. For the boy I love, these words I write, With all my heart, they take flight. You are the sunshine on a cloudy day, And with you, everything seems okay. Your smile is like a ray of light, That makes my world so bright. Your laughter is music to my ears, And in your presence, I have no fears. Your smile is sunshine on a gloomy day, And in your arms all worries fade away. Your laughter is a medicine for my soul, And in your company, I feel whole. You are kind, gentle, and so true, And I am grateful for everything you do. You make me feel loved and cherished, And with you I never

The Cry Of A Broken Heart

The Cry Of A Broken Heart  ~Srimoyee Dutta I can no longer talk to you No more texts, phone calls or emails, I can no longer hug you or kiss you. All I can do is talk about you, Reminisce about the good times, Obsess over the bad. Replaying the last conversation over and over again,  Watching it all fall apart, Like a horror movie on repeat. And now I pay someone to listen, An hour a week to get out the pain. To talk about you with love, anger and pain. She calms me through the same conversations, Fears and thoughts I have to voice again and again, Will I be happy again? I don't understand what went wrong, I don't get how you could end things so suddenly! Feels like just yesterday that you were calling me "baby", And telling me you loved me ! I guess we were never meant to be, And I gave myself to you for nothing. Because now we are no longer "we", This isn't you, I can't let you go, We were different, Maybe you will change your mind. She reassures m