Skip to main content

Misunderstood But in Love- a short story

Misunderstood but in Love



By Srimoyee Dutta



Shlok, a young man of twenty-four, was seated at a table fidgeting with the bracelet on his hand, seemed quite anxious and nervous as he peered over his shoulder from time to time. He appeared to be awaiting someone's arrival. Clean-shaven, he was dressed in a white shirt and grey jeans. When his blue eyes caught a young lady wearing a yellow top and white shorts come his way, he got up to greet her. He was tall. This young lady named Sakshi was twenty-eight years old. She had beady grey eyes and straight brown locks that fell to her shoulders. She had plump pink lips, a curvy body smooth soft skin the color of cream. She had just received an urgent text from Shlok. He wanted to meet her as he had to tell her something important. Sakshi wondered what it could be.
If it was what she feared it was, Sakshi was in trouble. She would be embarrassed. Sakshi had spent her last four years with Shlok. Since her car accident four years ago, when she had lost her parents, she was living with her brother Mihir. He had hired Shlok to be her physical therapist. Shlok had a musical voice and a lively spirit. He was oozing energy and was always full of encouragement and praise for Sakshi. It was because of him that she could walk on her own, without any help. Though she knew it was wrong, Sakshi could not put Shlok out of her mind. She had always observed him talking to her brother. Shlok would act weird around Mihir as if trying to impress him. Sakshi assumed Shlok was gay.
"Why are all perfect men out of league or gay?" was what she often asked herself. She had spent four years, but it felt like forever. She was greatly saddened the day they visited the doctor, and he had announced that Sakshi was fit and was doing fine walking by herself, so she did not need Shlok's assistance anymore. This meant she would probably never see Shlok again. Shlok also looked sad. She assumed he was going to miss seeing Mihir.

Though Shlok had tried a lot, he knew this was wrong. Sakshi was his patient. He could not get romantically involved with her! But somehow, Sakshi would always find her way to the back of his mind and his heart. He thought he could try and talk to Mihir. This could help Shlok keep his mind off Sakshi. But when that didn't work, Shlok started trying to impress Mihir and be in his good books so that when he proposed to Sakshi, if he ever did, Mihir would not disagree. 
Now sitting at that table across Sakshi, he had made up his mind to tell her about his feelings. The traffic seemed to distract him, and the quizzical expression on Sakshi's face didn't help his nerves. He could not think of the right words to say. "There is no point in delaying, is there?" he thought and finally spilled his feelings.
" For a very long time....." and his words were drowned by the child across the road, who was crying because he wanted to have ice cream which his mother denied. It was either the child or his words that had scared Sakshi. She was now on the edge of her seat with a look of horror on her face. 

Sakshi was scared and ashamed of herself. Shlok knew! What else could have been the reason? He was gay, and he definitely did not appreciate her having feelings for him, especially when he liked her brother. "Did I make my feeling that obvious?" she wondered. What she heard next changed her thoughts.

" I have loved you for the last three years. I know this is wrong and that you were my patient, but I could not help it. I did try to get over you. I tried to talk to your brother, but it didn't work! So when that day the doctor said you didn't need my help, it felt final. Like I would never see you again. I felt like I had lost something, a part of myself. So I wanted to tell you, I love you and I would like you as my girlfriend. would you consider this?"

The look on Sakshi's face disappointed Shlok. He did not expect her to be alarmed at his proposal. He sure looked good and was not bad an option! Why was she so surprised? Why was she so horrified? Shlok was lost in these thoughts and didn't hear what Sakshi stammered.

"So you are not gay! You don't like my brother," she whispered. Sakshi has never been happier. She got up from her seat and walked over to Shlok and kissed him. This threw Shlok off guard, but he kissed her back. He was happy she had accepted his proposal. "But why were you so alarmed when I confessed?" Shlok asked later on their coffee date.
" I always thought you were gay and liked my brother. that is why I never confessed my feelings for you," replied Sakshi,  embarrassed more than she could ever imagine.  Shlok started laughing at this. He kept laughing till tears rolled down his cheeks, and his sides ached. Even Sakshi was laughing at her own misjudgment. 

Comments

  1. Yeah! Misunderstood but it’s a nice one 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. i am glad you liked it. hope you like the other poems as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Triangle Of Love

  The Triangle Of Love    ~Srimoyee Dutta       I fell in love with the way you look at her, And everything else is a blur. I fell in love with the way you talk about her, And how you could go on and on forever! I fell in love with the way you care for her. I wish someone would hold me, The way you wrap your hands around her. I wish someone would yearn for me,  The same way you yearn to get a glimpse of her! Sometimes I wish someone would worry for me, Just like you worry about her. And sometimes it makes me feel jealous of her, Because I know no one would ever love me, In the way that you love her!

Love Is Never Lost?

Love Is Never Lost? ~ Srimoyee Dutta      He's handsome and he's tall A little bit tanned From playing football Looks like someone come from Dreamland. He looks so cute Joyful and smart Looks his best in a suit Knows how to steal the heart. I try not to get attached And keep my distance But my heart's already snatched, I'll need special assistance. He isn't mysterious, He just doesn't care. This isn't serious, It's just a dare! Every time I look at him I can't help but wonder Why couldn't I have known him, When we were a little bit younger? Maybe things would have been different  If we started talking sooner, He can't be that ignorant, I hope he sees that in the future. My heart was burnt. And my love lost. That was a lesson learnt, At a very great cost.

The Eyes Have It

The Eyes Have It ~Srimoyee Dutta        Blue were his eyes A little paler than the skies Sparkling so bright Like dew in sunlight Big and round like they were a gem Just can't get enough of gazing into them One look, and you can fall in love instantly So deep, you can stay lost in them for an eternity With joy or with sorrow could they be shining But not for once can they stop being stunning They can be keen, watchful and expressive Sometimes anxious, tired and pensive Eyes are the windows to the body and the soul Some are grey, green or brown and some black as coal  Blue were his eyes A little paler than the skies Sparkling so bright Like dew in sunlight

How we Met (Part 1)

  How We Met (Part 1) By Srimoyee Dutta                    Time had stopped ticking, and it felt like the world had frozen. Nothing else mattered. I was finally there. She was in my arms, and we were kissing. For months I had waited. I knew this day would come, sooner or later, when she would realize that I was the one for her. It was painful seeing her obsessing over someone else all this time, but it was worth the while. But right now, that she is with me, I want to do this right. I caressed her. It was a breathtaking kiss and the best kiss I have ever had. My heart was beating so loud, you could hear it through a wall. I wanted time to freeze. As much as I wanted to stay like this forever, I knew it could not happen. I also knew that now, when I have her, everything that comes next is going to be just like I imagine, if not better. I wanted to take the next step forward. I had waited long enough already. Now that I had my chance, I didn't want to miss it. " I want you to me

For The Boy I Love

  For The Boy I Love ~ Srimoyee Dutta               For the boy I love, these words I pour, With burning passion to my core. You set my heart ablaze with desire, And with you I feel like I can fly higher. Your touch ignites a flame within, And in your arms I forget all sin. Your lips are the sweetest nectar, And your embrace, my safe protector. Your eyes, so deep and intense, Draw me in with their magnetic sense. For the boy I love, these words I write, With all my heart, they take flight. You are the sunshine on a cloudy day, And with you, everything seems okay. Your smile is like a ray of light, That makes my world so bright. Your laughter is music to my ears, And in your presence, I have no fears. Your smile is sunshine on a gloomy day, And in your arms all worries fade away. Your laughter is a medicine for my soul, And in your company, I feel whole. You are kind, gentle, and so true, And I am grateful for everything you do. You make me feel loved and cherished, And with you I never

The Cry Of A Broken Heart

The Cry Of A Broken Heart  ~Srimoyee Dutta I can no longer talk to you No more texts, phone calls or emails, I can no longer hug you or kiss you. All I can do is talk about you, Reminisce about the good times, Obsess over the bad. Replaying the last conversation over and over again,  Watching it all fall apart, Like a horror movie on repeat. And now I pay someone to listen, An hour a week to get out the pain. To talk about you with love, anger and pain. She calms me through the same conversations, Fears and thoughts I have to voice again and again, Will I be happy again? I don't understand what went wrong, I don't get how you could end things so suddenly! Feels like just yesterday that you were calling me "baby", And telling me you loved me ! I guess we were never meant to be, And I gave myself to you for nothing. Because now we are no longer "we", This isn't you, I can't let you go, We were different, Maybe you will change your mind. She reassures m